This union branch notes the following developments in the college:
- A grade 3 OFSTED inspection report;
- A fall in both student enrolment and income in the College’s HE sector;
- Increases in the College’s repayments on its loans;
- Increases in the number of staff recruited from agencies;
- Substantial increases in payments to consultants;
- The resignation of the College Group’s Chief Executive.
Clearly, the College is in yet another crisis; a crisis created entirely by management, not the workforce. Management need to provide timely and acurrate information. We resolve to present four fundamental alternatives to the ongoing mismanagement of the College.
The College should, without delay:
- An immediate reduction in executive pay, expenses and perks and a cap on executive salary
- Cease all engagement of consultants and instead utilise the substantial staff resources of the College;
- End all agency outsourcing and employ all staff directly;
- Introduce a democratic management structure in which, competent governors, elected union officials and students are provided with appropriate information and resources in order to be actively involved in strategic decision making.
In addition, Bradford College UCU will ballot for action short of and including industrial action in the event of the College seeking to address financial weakness through making our members compulsorily redundant or a worsening of our terms and conditions of service.